Site Navigation

Modification: Avoid Modern-Day Debtor’s Prison

Debtor’s prison may be a thing of the past, but you can go to jail for nonpayment of child support. Even if you’ve been a law-abiding citizen all your life, a good parent to your children, a role-model in the community, you can be treated as a common criminal by law enforcement agencies if you don’t make that monthly child support payment to your former spouse. But what if you simply can’t pay?


Fortunately, you can avoid delinquency, and the resulting suspension of your driver’s license, jail or other penalties, through a legal process called modification. You can petition the court to reduce your child support obligation based on your financial situation. The standard that the court uses to determine whether a modification is warranted is the substantial change in circumstances standard. As you may have guessed, you will have to demonstrate to the court that an unanticipated event caused your financial position to decline since the court issued your divorce decree.


Did the recent economic downturn result in the loss of your job or the closing of your business? Did an automobile accident leave you disabled and unable to work? Did you undergo yet another expensive divorce or acquire additional familial obligations? Such events are all potential grounds for legal reduction of your child support obligation.


The attorneys at the Law Firm of Grigaltchik & Galustov, P.A. are experienced in the modification process. We will be able to answer all your questions and help you to understand your rights. You may receive a reduction in your child support obligation in just one hearing. Call today: (904) 738-8398.